FAQ: What should I do before and after my treatments?
Electrolysis treatments are intense heat-based. Some peoples skin won’t be affected much, and temporary side effects will go within a few hours of the treatment. This is mainly due to favorable pre-existing skin characteristics and proper regular skin care.
Pre-Treatment Do’s – To get your skin ready for electrolysis
- Avoid sun exposure, it will add heat and dryness to your skin. Make sure your skin is fully recovered from sun exposure before coming for a treatment.
- No tanning for 48 hours before or after your treatment.
- Drink plenty of water (at least 2 liters) daily and apply a good quality moisturizing lotion twice a day the week prior to the treatment. Hydrated follicles are less likely to produce temporary side effects which means that your skin will heal and regenerate more quickly, and the treatment will be shorter and more comfortable.
- No chemical peels or any abrasive facials, or retinol products for at least 2 weeks before treatment
Post Treatment Do’s–during the first 48 hours after any treatment; longer if skin is not healed yet.
- Keep your skin well hydrated. Drink at least 2L of water every day.
- Use a good quality moisturizer daily.
- Apply a non-alcohol-based sunscreen, especially during the day when you are outdoors, at least SPF 30.
- Apply regenerating/recovery creams such as Skeyndor Uniqcure SOS RECOVERING CONCENTRATE and Skeyndor Aquatherm Thermal Concentrate Water 3-4 times a day and before going to bed for at least 3 days after the treatment. This is to calm the temporary side effects and help the skin heal quickly. Never apply these in the daytime when you are going outdoors or you could have discoloration as they are photosensitive.
Don’ts – your skin just received intense heat, look after it well. Electrolysis should not create any permanent side effects, but if you don’t take good care of it after treatment this may cause unpleasant effects which last for longer than normal (micro scabs, bumps, redness, white heads, etc). Be kind to your skin by following these tips during the first 48 hours after any treatment; longer if skin is not healed yet:
- Do not touch, scratch, or exfoliate the treated area, especially if white heads or scabs are present or they may leave marks.
- Avoid any friction in the treated area (i.e.: avoid wearing tight jeans, harsh fabrics, etc).
Avoid sun exposure for at least 24 hours. Do not use sunbeds for at least 72 hours.
- Avoid contact with oily, soapy, perfumed or alcohol-based products until your skin is fully healed and back to normal.
- Avoid very hot baths, saunas or any activity that make you sweat more than usual, as this could create infections.
- Avoid using make-up products on the treated area after the treatment.
- Underarms: do not use deodorant.
- Bikini line: it is preferable to wear cotton underwear 48 hours after the treatment.
- Do not use other hair removal methods in between Furless sessions, instead come right away for treatment.
- Avoid going to the pool or beach.